Picture of I'm interested in hearing how you interact and work with MSOs, and do many have clinical experience to your knowledge?

I'm interested in hearing how you interact and work with MSOs, and do many have clinical experience to your knowledge?

Picture of Tori
3 responses

Additional information

I'm paramedic and considering a career change into the Army as an officer, but unfortunately paramedics are not PQOs, so I'm considering MSO. What is your experience as an MO of their role, and is there any scope for them to work clinically?

Cody R. asked a question to Tori C.

Category: Team Info

Date asked: Sunday, November 29, 2020

Last reviewed: Sunday, November 29, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hi Cody, The vast majority of MSOs who join as officers don't have any prior clinical experience. There are a few MSOs who are late entry officers and have had careers as CMTs previously and therefore do have clinical experience, but they don't continue to work clinically once they become MSOs. I know of a paramedic who was an officer and did do some clinical work, but I'm not sure what career path she took to get to that point, or if it is even possible to do a similar role anymore (she is no longer serving). It would be worth speaking to the AMS recruiting office about what options may be available to you in more detail though, their contact number can be found on their website https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/army-medical-services/

Sunday, November 29, 2020

Cody R.

Thanks for you quick reply Tori. I’ll certainly get in touch with the recruiting office to see what could be available. Could I ask how you like working with MSOs? Do you have much interaction between your roles? What would you say makes a good MSO in your eyes?

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

We have a lot of interaction early in our careers, but perhaps a little less so later on unless as an MO you are working with a medical regiment. I like working with MSOs. The best ones usually share the same qualities as other good officers, in that they are organised, hard working and look out for their soldiers. They're a great source of knowledge for MOs and I have sought advice from MSOs many times when I am stuck with various things. Rachel T. might be able to give you some more insight into the role, and how she has found it working in a non clinical role with so many clinical staff.

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?