Picture of I know it sounds daft but is it possible to have a small pet whalst in the army

I know it sounds daft but is it possible to have a small pet whalst in the army

1 response

Anonymous asked a question to British Army

Category: Eligibility

Date asked: Monday, June 15, 2020

Last reviewed: Monday, June 15, 2020

Stuart T.

Army Air Corps Engagement Team Warrant Officer

Hi and thank you for your question. Ownership of pet animals is not allowed whilst an individual is about to embark on their basic training and subsequent initial trade/role training (as a Soldier) or the equivalent at The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (as an Officer). Once all initial training is complete and the individual is established at his/her unit, then in principle, yes you may own a small pet. However, I would add that this will be dependent on what the local rules and procedures dictate. For example, the decision to own a pet whilst living on a military camp or station could be based on the decision from the Commanding Officer and/or current guidelines and policy already laid down on the ownership of animals whilst living in accommodation. Of course, you may also wish to consider personal circumstances/situation that influence 'you' as a single Soldier/Officer owning a pet and weighing up the factors that may influence the wellbeing and ultimate quality of life for the animal. Time spent away on exercises or operations, availability of support networks, living conditions for the animal, for example? Hope this helps. Stuart.

Monday, June 15, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?