Picture of Help! :) Current 2nd year Biomedical Student

Help! :) Current 2nd year Biomedical Student

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

I'm currently at university and was thinking of joining the army after and at the end of 2 more years, I should be able to join as a PQS. However, I lack confidence and therefore leadership abilities; can I just join as a solider and choose the royal medical corps? If this was the case, would I be allowed to practice as a biomedical scientist as I have the qualification or is not guaranteed? If I gain the confidence to commission eventually while serving, that is another route too right?

Sreya I. asked a question to Medical

Category: How to apply

Date asked: Thursday, July 23, 2020

Last reviewed: Sunday, July 26, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hi Sreya, PQS is a professionally qualified soldier, this is different to a PQO, professionally qualified officer. As a PQS you are joining as a soldier, and therefore you would not be required to attend RMAS to complete the commissioning course. So I wouldn't worry if you don't feel you have the confidence just yet, you will build up your leadership skills during your training and while working as a soldier. I am not sure if we have any biomedical scientists that are officers, I suspect if you wanted to commission at some point during your career, you would be looking at the medical support officer role if you were keen on staying in the RAMC.

Sunday, July 26, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?