Picture of What is the lowest eyesight requirement?

What is the lowest eyesight requirement?

Picture of Tori
4 responses

Additional information

I am very short sighted, my right eye is - 3.00 and my left is -3.75. My vision is corrected well by glasses/contact lenses. I would like to join as a nurse after i finish university. Would my eyesight be an issue?

Shakira Y. asked a question to Medical

Category: General

Date asked: Friday, July 24, 2020

Last reviewed: Friday, January 8, 2021

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hi Shakira, Army doctors don't work in recruiting or do entry medicals, so my knowledge may not be the most up to date. However it is usually -/+6 that is the cut off. My eyesight is -4.5 and -4.75 and corrected well with glasses and it was not an issue when I joined. You can get some relatively nice military issue glasses when you join as well! (or at least I think they're nice!)

Sunday, July 26, 2020

Tom P.

My vision is -4 in my left eye, but extremely good in my right eye, will I still be able to join?

Friday, December 18, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hi Tom, As I mentioned above, army doctors tend not to do the entry medicals, but it used to be that the cut off was -6. I can't imagine that has changed to anything less than -4 so you should be ok provided your eyesight corrects well with glasses, and you're not applying for a role that requires better than normal eyesight (eg pilot). Best of luck with your application.

Friday, December 18, 2020

Tom P.

Funnily enough, I want to apply as an army doctor. Thank you for the answer!

Friday, January 8, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?