Picture of How do you become aircrew in the back of army helicopters?

How do you become aircrew in the back of army helicopters?

4 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: About us

Date asked: Monday, August 3, 2020

Last reviewed: Tuesday, August 4, 2020

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

That’s a Royal Air Force role as a WSoP ( weapon systems operator ) or loadee. J

Monday, August 3, 2020

Madeline J.

Wildcat Pilot

Hi, thanks so much for getting in touch with your question. The Army Air Corps have Aviation Crewmen who operate in the back of our Wildcat, Dauphin and Bell 212 helicopters. The job varies depending on which of these platforms you work on but essentially you would be responsible for the safety of the cab as well as any passengers, cargo or weapons operated from the back. Because these three helicopters do different roles, there will be a range of other jobs you may be responsible for too. If you have any more questions on the Wildcat role specifically then please let me know. In terms of getting into it: you would need to be an AAC LCpl as a minimum with a good recommendation on your most recent report. In addition you would need to have successfully completed the Aptitude Tests and Aircrew Medical. Once successful, you would be loaded onto the Joint Aircrewman Course (JAC) which runs for approx. 6 months at RAF Shawbury. I hope that helps to answer your question. Please let me know if there is anything else we can help with. Take care, Maddie

Monday, August 3, 2020

Anonymous

Do you have to be in a specific role in the AAC to progress onto this?

Monday, August 3, 2020

Madeline J.

Wildcat Pilot

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. No, you don't need to be in a specific role. You just need to meet the criteria I listed above. Our soldiers are streamed into either groundcrew or signaller streams during their phase 2 training, but you can be in either of these streams and go onto the crewman role. Most junior soldiers express an interest in becoming a crewman within their first 3-4 years of service and they will then start the application process. This will be managed by your line manager and the first step is usually the Aptitude Tests. I hope that helps! Take care, Maddie

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?