Picture of Hi, I've always been interested in joining the army, but have been put off because of my fitness

Hi, I've always been interested in joining the army, but have been put off because of my fitness

Picture of Katie
1 response

Additional information

As I said, I've always been interested since a young age because my grandad was in the army, but I've always been intimidated by learning all the procedures because I'm scared of failing, also I'm not the fittest person, I've not long quit smoking after starting at 16, I'm now 24. Also I suffer from social anxiety which is something that has also stopped my from joining, and I don't know if that would be an issue, I could imagine it would be. Any advice would be amazing.

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Last reviewed: Saturday, June 12, 2021

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi there, Thank you for your question and for being so open and honest. I’ll talk about fitness first. Please don’t be anxious about this. Everyone has to start someone and it is great that you have recently stopped smoking, that is a huge step and will make a really significant difference. It will take a little time to build your lung capacity up again so don’t be too hard on yourself. Take a look on the Army website, it has lots of advice on fitness and provides a progressive programme which will get you to the standard you need to be at to join. Then when you’re in basic training the programme is designed to get you fitter, it is a progressive programme again and is aimed to develop you, no one there wants to see you fail. With regards to the social anxiety, only you will know the answer to that. Perhaps go to an Army Careers Office and have a chat through and see how it makes you feel. I hope that has gone some way to answer your question but if not please feel free to come back to me. Katie

Saturday, June 12, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?