Picture of What are the top 5 Corps/Regiments with the most competitive application processes for Officers?

What are the top 5 Corps/Regiments with the most competitive application processes for Officers?

Picture of Jen
3 responses

Anonymous asked a question to HR, Finance and Support

Category: About us

Date asked: Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Last reviewed: Thursday, August 5, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, as a general overview the Infantry (all Regts) are very competitive (RGR is probably the most competitive). The Royal Engineers is also quite competitive. However, it really does depend on the intake and where people want to go and number of places avaliable in each Corps/Regt at the time.

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Anonymous

Hi Jen, Thank you for replying to another question. Are there certain roles that receive a much higher number of applicants than spaces available? I heard that some of the hardest roles to get into include paratrooper, AAC Pilot and Int Corp Officer? Thank you, B

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, you heard right but it really does depend on your intake (where people want to go). Paras and Royal Gurkha Regt are probably the 2 most competitive Inf Regts but Paras will only even consider individuals who are the top in terms of fitness, AAC tends to have a huge amount of interest but many will fail the selection tests. At the moment they are taking around 5 officers per intake. I found that at the begining of the first term 90% of the lads were interested in The Rifles (as it's one of the most known Regts), by the begining of the 2nd term (and a few bad exercises in horrible weather) the interest in other capbadges is far greater! ;) My advice would be do as much research now about where you'd like to join, try and get on a visit (your candidate support manager will be able to help you with that) and as warm and fuzzy as it sounds, my advice is, where does it feel like 'home'? I've met a lot of people who've visited a capbadge they'd not really heard of (Educational Corps for example) and really enjoyed it, found they were with people of a similar mindset and have had a great career but prior to RMAS hadn't even heard or considered it. The Army really is a case of 'what you don't know, you don't know' - so research is really key. You get to have 2 visits at RMAS and you make your decision in the middle term of 2 capbadges you're interested in and have the Arms and Services Selection Board (ie your interview for the capbadges you've expressed your interest in). Good luck. On the whole, most officers end up in the capbadge they wanted to go.

Thursday, August 5, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?