Picture of Is it okay to leave army at “earliest” opportunity to go abroad?

Is it okay to leave army at “earliest” opportunity to go abroad?

Picture of Tori
7 responses

Additional information

Hello! I am currently in 2nd year of medical school and have been considering applying to join the army as a doctor (currently part of UOTC). However, in the long-term I feel as though I will end up leaving the UK to be a doctor abroad (probably in NZ/AUS due to family amongst other reasons). Of course I would have to leave to army if I were to leave the UK, but my question would be if there’s any point in joining the army as a doctor if I know I will probably be leaving after my GDMO years? My worry is that I would just be delayed as I would not be able to leave after FY2 (like I would be able to outside of the army) and have to serve 3 GDMO years before leaving to go aboard. But then again, this extra time in the army may be outweighed by the experience and skills gained by being in the army. What’s your thoughts on this? Also if I know I would want to leave the army at the earliest chance (after 3 years as a GDMO I believe, but correct if I’m wrong) would this not just weaken my application as it does not show proper commitment/motivation to the armed forces? Thanks for you help :)

Anonymous asked a question to Tori C.

Category: Internal career mobility

Date asked: Sunday, September 5, 2021

Last reviewed: Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, I am obviously a little biased, but I found the years spent as GDMO were invaluable, and also a great CV builder! If you apply for a bursary, it is technically a 4 year return of service after FY2, however I have never heard of anyone being unable to leave at the 3 year point (although I have known people who have had to pay back a small amount, that was before the current bursary scheme though, so things may have changed slightly since then). Personally, I think if you are seriously considering spending a few years in the military, then it is worth starting the application and seeing how you feel later down the line. Starting the application does not tie you in to anything, and I found the selection process gave me an insight in to what to expect and helped me to decide if this was what I wanted. I joined after FY2 and simultaneously applied for specialty training, then when it came down to choosing which job to take up, I decided on the military. Best of luck with your decision!

Friday, September 10, 2021

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply! So how long is the commission into the army (excluding FY1/2) - I thought you did 3 years as a GDMO, or is it 4? In terms of leaving to go elsewhere (either in the NHS or abroad) would the clinical skills as a GDMO benefit you (I imagine it would if going into GP due to the similar nature of each I believe) but what about other specialties where maybe the GDMO role doesn’t have overlap with - or could you easily go into any specialty after GDMO years if you were to leave the army? And just finally would knowing I want to go to work abroad not be ideal as it shows I’m not committed to the military long-term? Thanks again :)

Monday, September 13, 2021

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

You do 3 years as a GDMO, but the initial commitment is 4 years (I know, it doesn't make any sense!). If you choose to leave after 3 years, you may have to pay back a small amount of the bursary. GDMO is still beneficial if you choose a different speciality, it helps you develop your consultation style and your decision making. If you are interested in something in particular, you will have plenty of opportunity to take part in research/go on courses etc.. which always helps with the CV. I would perhaps not emphasise that you might not stay, mostly because you might change your mind!

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Anonymous

Ok thanks for clearing that up! Do you know of anyone who has left the army to go and work abroad- or do most of those who leave just go back to the NHS?

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

I have a friend who left to go and work in Australia recently. A few go back to work in the NHS. And a few will go and do something completely different.

Anonymous

Do you know if they left to go to Australia after GDMO years or continued with specialty training within NHS and then went there? On a bit of a separate note, could you give an insight into the balance between life within the army and outside? Do you have much time to meet friends outside of the army and family for example at weekends (whilst you’re not deployed of course). And is the holiday/annual leave similar to the NHS i.e likely to be working either Christmas or New Year, or get some time off to be a ‘civilian’ for a while? Thanks again!

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

They started specialty training with the army initially, but decided in the end it wasn't for them and left at that point. My work life balance certainly improved when I joined the Army. GDMOs (unless on exercise/deployed) don't work weekends, and often finish early on a friday to allow you time to travel home. Annual leave is 38 days including bank holidays, but often you get a bit more than this for various reasons. I didn't use all my annual leave during GDMO, and I still felt like I had plenty of time off. The med centres are closed on bank holidays and weekends so you won't be working then (unless deployed), and often units stand down over the main holidays (christmas, easter, summer), which means work often gets quieter, so it's relatively easy to take leave.

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?