Picture of Is an FY3 ‘gap year’ possible if you decide to join the army?

Is an FY3 ‘gap year’ possible if you decide to join the army?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

Hello! I know many doctors take a year out after FY2 to locum and/or travel before entering speciality training. If you were to apply as a bursar, I’m pretty sure this wouldn’t be possible as you do your FY1/2 already being connected with the army. However, if you apply in FY1, would you be required to start the commissioning course immediately after FY2 or would it be possible to take a year about before starting in the army? Thanks so much!

Anonymous asked a question to Tori C.

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Last reviewed: Thursday, June 3, 2021

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, You're right, it is very common to take a year out to get a bit of a break after FY2. You couldn't do this as a bursar, but yes, you can apply in FY1 and then take a year out, you would just need to make it clear when you apply that you didn't want to start for another year. It's obviously an individual choice, but I found joining gave me the break I needed (better workload, a bit of travel, some time away from clinical medicine on the commissioning course). You also finish FY2 at the start of august (usually), but you won't start the commissioning course until October, so there are a few months there to enjoy some time off.

Thursday, June 3, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?