Picture of Does anyone usually get married in the army?

Does anyone usually get married in the army?

Picture of LCoH Ashley
Picture of Jen
2 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Thursday, December 30, 2021

Last reviewed: Monday, January 10, 2022

Picture of LCoH Ashley O.

LCoH Ashley O.

Recruiting Co-Ordinator at ACC Norwich

Good Morning and thanks for your question, To put it simply, yes. The army is committed to enabling our personnel to maintain healthy relationships with friends and families. I personally have known lots of people whom have gotten married since joining the army. The army will give you time off to get married and get everything in order for this as well. Further to this, once you are married you will also be eligible for Service Families Accommodation (SFA) which will be a house close to where your unit is based where yourself and your partner can live. The army has built a work environment which is absolutely family friendly and there will always be flexibility where required, be it needing a late start for work in order to drop children off at school or for medical appointments etc. I hope this answers your question.

Monday, January 10, 2022

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

To add to Ash's answer above, there are a lot of married couples in the army too. Serving females tend to end up marrying someone who's serving - not all but it is more the norm than not. As Ash said, the army really supports it and there are lots of army churches you could get married at (for free!) and places to hold a function afterwards. Personally i got married to someone who was in the army (he'd done about 12 years at the time and i'd served for 3 years) and got married in an army church and then had our reception in a military mess that i decorated for the occasion. Hope that helps and gives you a slightly different perspective too.

Monday, January 10, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?