Can you be gay in the army?

4 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Last reviewed: Thursday, January 9, 2020

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Hi there and thank you for your question. Yes of course! Everyone in the Army, no matter what their sexual orientation or gender identity, has the right to be treated fairly with dignity and respect You can visit this link for further information https://apply.army.mod.uk/what-we-offer/what-we-stand-for/lgbt Have a nice day J

Thursday, August 22, 2019

Zoe O.

Corporal, Adjutant General's Corps, Staff and Personnel Support AGC(SPS).

Hello! James M is completely right. In fact, the army celebrates its LGBT community with organised events, participation in Gay Pride parades and displaying the flag at certain times of the year. The British Army prides itself on diversity and inclusion. Thank you for your question. Zoe

Monday, October 28, 2019

Picture of Fionidi

Fionidi

Officer Engagement

Hi, I don't think I can really add much more to the answers already given but I think it should be made clear that a persons gender or sexual orientation is no longer, and has not been for many years, a defining factor in our forces. Everyone is treated equally and respected for who they are and what they bring to the table.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Picture of Sarah R.

Sarah R.

SQMS Accomodation NCO

Yes, you can and have been able to be openly gay for 20 years now. There is still this shadow hanging over the Army that you cannot be LGBT+ and serve.

Thursday, January 9, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?