Picture of Will I be able to train/serve if I am non-binary? e.g. will my pronouns be respected/will I be treated equally?

Will I be able to train/serve if I am non-binary? e.g. will my pronouns be respected/will I be treated equally?

Picture of LCoH Ashley
4 responses

Additional information

I was assigned female at birth so I would like to know if I will have to stay with other females/whether this would be accommodated for.

Anonymous asked a question to HR, Finance and Support

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Last reviewed: Saturday, January 29, 2022

Picture of LCoH Ashley O.

LCoH Ashley O.

Recruiting Co-Ordinator at ACC Norwich

Good Afternoon and thanks for your question. I can completely understand that you may have some concerns in this area especially as your identity is something very important. The Army, like most of society, has seen some rapid changes over the last few years with regards to different genders and the LGBTQ+ Community. No matter how you identify, you should receive nothing less than the respect of your peers, and there are measures in place to ensure that this is the case, and designated people/areas where you can go to report something such as bullying or anything similar. The army very much operates a "Zero tolerance" stance when it comes to any form of bullying. There is however, some potential areas for concern. Whilst i do not know your situation fully, if you are on some form of gender reassignment medication then you could come across some problems in the medical side of the application. I don't know a huge amount about what is allowed and what isn't, but it's something to think about as a potential speedbump in pursuing this as a career. I can safely say, that if you do choose to join the Army, and you are successful, then the Army will be committed to making sure you are comfortable with who you are and where you need to be. If you feel uncomfortable in a situation or with the way you are being treated, then this can and will be rectified for you to the best of their ability. I wish you all the best for the future, and if you have any more questions then i'd be happy to help. Or feel free to call your local Army Careers Centre.

Saturday, January 29, 2022

Anonymous

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. In terms of the medical side of the application, do you know who I could contact in order to find out what would be allowed/what I would need to know to in order to pass the medical tests? Thank you again for your reply.

Picture of LCoH Ashley O.

LCoH Ashley O.

Recruiting Co-Ordinator at ACC Norwich

Good Evening, No problem at all, i'm happy to help and hopefully i have eased your mind about potentially joining! I would say it can be tricky trying to find someone to speak to about what is allowed and what isn't. The medical team are the best people to speak to but as you can imagine they are very busy most of the time. A good option could be to start an application on the army jobs website. By doing so, there are quite a few medical steps in the process which you will go through, and if there is any information you provide which causes problems, then the medical team will either tell you they require more information or you will be medically rejected/deferred. Don't be disheartened however, the vast majority of the time these rejections and deferrals can be appealed against. If this is the case, they will explain the reason for your rejection and exactly what can be done to rectify the issue if possible. You can then complete the steps they require, submit the information, and then hopefully be approved to proceed with your application as planned. There's no harm in giving it a go and seeing if you'd be eligible. If you do come into some problems and decide to leave it a while before re-applying, then the Army wont hold it against you, you will still be able to apply again and give it another go. If you want to try and speak to the medical team, it's a long shot but you could try calling the National Recruitment Centre on 0345 600 8080. Hopefully they will be able to guide you further with a bit more knowledge than i certainly have! Best of luck!

Anonymous

Thank you so much for all this, it really makes a big difference knowing what I can do.

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?