Picture of What happened if I got through the 32 week training and then decide I don’t want to continue?

What happened if I got through the 32 week training and then decide I don’t want to continue?

Picture of Carl
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Saturday, January 29, 2022

Last reviewed: Friday, February 4, 2022

Picture of Carl S.

Carl S.

Careers Adviser

Great Question! Although I Don't know what type of training you are referring to. All services in HM Forces have a Discharge As Of Right (DOAR) at certain points in their early days in the forces. This allows them to leave by giving fourteen days' notice. The point at which personnel are able to exercise DAOR varies as follows - Army (over 18): DAOR after 28 days' service, but before three months' service - Army (under 18): DAOR after 28 days' service but before six months' service - Navy and air force: DAOR after 28 days' service but before six months' service Discharge Under 18 (DU18). In addition to the right to discharge, all Service personnel retain a right to claim your discharge up to their 18th birthday once the DAOR period has expired. You must give notice in writing to your Commanding Officer before your 18th birthday. After a maximum cooling-off period of 3 months you will then be discharged unless you change your mind about leaving before the date of your discharge. All this gives you ample opportunity to understand the army's benefits and rewards at an early stage. However once the time of Discharge As Of Right has passed you have to serve your minimum contract requirement (4 years) and the Sign off period is 1 year. In this time you focus on education and qualifications, preparing to find a job to walk into from the Armed Forces. I hope this Answered your question.

Friday, February 4, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?