Picture of Anyone who is a doctor for the army able to tell me more about the role, things I should know ect. Thank you

Anyone who is a doctor for the army able to tell me more about the role, things I should know ect. Thank you

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

I am 16 and just sitting my GCSEs and was wondering about how to get into the profession and what it involves both whilst qualifying and once qualified. I am also a female so anyone who is able to tell me about army life as a woman. Also anybody who is dyslexic, what is the help surrounding this ?

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Monday, May 30, 2022

Last reviewed: Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, The first step is to get a place at medical school, so I wouldn't worry too much about everything else until you get that far. Once you are at medical school, if you still think you might like to join then it is worth looking in to joining the University Officer Training Corps (although not compulsory). You can apply for a bursary once you have a place at medical school, but other than the interview process for the bursary, if successful, you will be left to focus on your studies. After that you will do your foundation years at a JHG (a hospital with ties to the military). The next step is then completing the Short Commissioning Course at RMAS (Sandhurst). You will go on to complete the post graduate medical officers course and work as a general duties medical officer for a few years before applying for specialty training. There are plenty of doctors (and army doctors) who are dyslexic. They receive extra support where needed, including extra time for professional exams. I enjoy life in the Army, I haven't felt different or disadvantaged, women are well represented in the Army Medical Services in particular. I hope that helps!

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?