Picture of I want to join the army for a year or six months, but it says it has a minimum of 2-4 years and I'm not sure. Thanks

I want to join the army for a year or six months, but it says it has a minimum of 2-4 years and I'm not sure. Thanks

Picture of LCoH Ashley
4 responses

Additional information

I just want to join to learn some new skills and don't want to give up 4 years of my life so I'm not sure if I can leave after 6 months or have to stay 4 years

Tammar A. asked a question to Combat

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Friday, June 10, 2022

Last reviewed: Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Picture of LCoH Ashley O.

LCoH Ashley O.

Recruiting Co-Ordinator at ACC Norwich

Good Morning Tammar and thanks for your question, The normal terms of service in the British army is a minimum of 4 years. This is because of the time it can take to train you in certain jobs as well as completing your basic training. All of which you get paid whilst doing. Following your training, it will then give you a good amount of time of roughly 1-2 years to learn to work in your chosen job and establish yourself in the position you take up in your unit. If by this point you do still wish to leave, then after serving 3 years you may submit yout Notice To Terminate. This is essentially a 1 year long notice period for when you leave, so you shall leave the army at your 4 year point. There are other options for you to leave after starting your basic training in the short term, if you think that it's not what you expected. So you're not locked in from the moment you arrive at basic training. But the options for this will all be explained upon arrival. The British Army prides itself on some of the skills, opportunities and experience it gives to it's soldiers, all whilst getting paid, so you can understand the reason why there is a minimum length of service in order for you to be able to make the most of these and for you to give back to the army too. If you choose to join, i can assure you that those first 4 years will absolutely fly by, and alot of people i have known whom only wanted to serve 4 years, ended up serving longer just because they enjoyed it and wanted to keep going! All the best for the future anyway, and if you have any more questions then feel free to ask!

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

test t.

">

Sunday, February 19, 2023

Regan O.

Can I join The Guards just as a summer job? Or how long would the minimum be?

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Good Morning Regan, Thank you for your question. As LCoH Ashley has written above, the normal terms of service in the British Army is a minimum of 4 years. This is because of the time it can take to train you in certain jobs as well as completing your basic training. All of which you get paid whilst doing. I’m afraid there is no opportunity for summer jobs, you simply wouldn’t have time to learn what is required of you to be gainfully employed. Four years may seem like a long time but it really isn’t, so if you decided that the Army is for you, I wouldn’t let the minimum employment period put you off! Good luck with whatever you choose, Katie

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?