Picture of What is the correct way of addressing a non-binary superior officer?

What is the correct way of addressing a non-binary superior officer?

Picture of LCoH Ashley
Picture of Sarah
4 responses

Martin B. asked a question to Sarah R.

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Monday, July 18, 2022

Last reviewed: Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Picture of LCoH Ashley O.

LCoH Ashley O.

Recruiting Co-Ordinator at ACC Norwich

Good Morning Martin and thanks for your question, It's a very good question in fact, as I don't fully know the answer. The army is constantly changing it's policy to better suit people of different genders and move with the times, creating the best work environment possible for all. If i was addressing an officer whom was non binary, i would simply ask them how they would like to be addressed. Usually they would choose either Sir or Ma'am, and that would be respected accordingly. Once your work colleagues have gotten used to this it will be more common knowledge as to what you would like to be addressed as and the issue will begin to arise less and less. I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions then feel free to ask and i'll be happy to help where possible. One of my colleagues may be able to answer your question further if they have more knowledge on the subject.

Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Picture of Sarah R.

Sarah R.

SQMS Accomodation NCO

Morning Martin, a very good question. From what I have seen and heard recently if you are unsure of someones pronouns then it is to address them by their rank first and then either ask for their pronouns or be instructed on their pronouns. For the NCO's under WO level this isn't a problem as there isn't a "gendered" way to call them by. For us who have lived a very binary world it will be unusual to start with but once we become accustomed to it then everything will be normal. I hope this has been informative for you.

Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Martin B.

Thank you very much for your replies to this. It actually helps me a lot.

Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

In the Army it is probably easier than another working environment as we can use rank - which has no gender attached to it. This then opens the conversation to what that individual would like to be addressed as.

Tuesday, July 19, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?