Picture of What happens if I apply in the army at 16

What happens if I apply in the army at 16

Picture of Jen
1 response

Additional information

Im a teenager who dosent want to go to a normal college and just wants to apply for the army at 16

Anonymous asked a question to Infantry

Category: Work experience

Date asked: Saturday, September 3, 2022

Last reviewed: Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, great question. You can start your online application at 15yrs 9mths and you would then attend the Army Foundation College in Harrogate (North Yorkshire) . Unlike normal college you are also paid throughout your time there. During your time at Harrogate you learn basic military/soldiering skills such as weapon handling, first aid, communications (radios) training etc and also still do lessons in English, maths and ICT. You have opportunities for a huge number of different sports and Adventure training (such as mountaineering, caving, sky diving etc). Once you have passed out from Harrogate you have time to do your driving tests (the army pays for this) before attending your Phase 2 training. This is where you focus on the particular part of the army you have decided to join - for example if you joined as a chef, you would go to Winchester and embark on your apprenticeship to become an army chef and here you would learn your skills at the Defence Food school. If you joined as a vehicle mechanic you would go to Lynham to begin your apprenticeship. Harrogate teaches you how to be a soldier but it's your phase 2 that focuses your skills to what role/trade you do. I really hope this helps.

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?