Picture of Best way to join UKSF as a Signal? (More questions as well)

Best way to join UKSF as a Signal? (More questions as well)

Picture of Frank
3 responses

Additional information

1. What is the best set of university qualifications to get if I want to become a Royal Signals Officer? (I don't mind what it is, but ideally I want to do very technical stuff. If I had preference; operating and installing radio equipment and telecommunications systems. I know this is just one small area of work that the RS do, but if I had any specific preference, this is what I would pick.) 2. I want to be in the UKSF. Specifically, UKSF -> 18 (UKSF) Signal Regiment -> 267 (SRR) Signal Squadron. I think you get what I mean, but I want to work with the SRR as a Royal Signals Officer. Whats the best way I would go about this? Please respond with as much detail as possible, this will be really important information to me. I specifically picked you (Frank R) because I noticed your one of the only RS on the site. Thanks :)

Anonymous asked a question to Frank R.

Date asked: Monday, October 16, 2023

Last reviewed: Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Picture of Frank R.

Frank R.

Networking, Cyber Security, IT

Hi there, Many thanks for your question (apologies for my tardiness, this one slipped me by). 1. Please see the link below that stipulates the minimum qualifications needed for entry to Sandhurst: https://jobs.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-apply/qualifications Any skillsets/qualifications gained in the ICT/computer science arena will no doubt serve you well on your chosen path. And especially for SFC (Special Forces Communicator) you will need to be extremely proficient in your skills at RF (Radio Frequency)/Satcom (Satellite Communications) as this will be tested heavily. 2. Great to hear your aspiring to serve with the UK Special Forces. As an officer, you would go through a slightly different process (basically a recommend for UKSF by your CO as I understand it). But all other physical/time served requirements remain the same as below: - minimum 2 years served as a fully trained soldier/officer - Be fully deployable - Pass the UKSF swim test. - Pass the Briefing course (week long series of tests, both physical and mental to ascertain your potential for success on the 6 month selection). Once all the above is passed, you then go on selection (whichever pathway you have chosen i.e., 22 SAS, SBS, SRR, SFC etc) and if successful, post to your respective unit. You will have a choice to a certain extent, but due to operational requirements you may/may not get your first choice. If you don't, you can always try again at a later date. Be as fit as you can possibly be. These are some of the most arduous courses a human being can do, and be under no illusion they will push you to your physical and mental limits. Train well, eat well and rest well. You're going to potentially lead individuals at the peak of their game, be confident in your abilities as you will be well trained and prepared. But there is absolutely no room for bravado. Be humble and unassuming, and deliver the goods when needed without showing off. Others under your command will respect you for it. With the right mindset, discipline and unwavering focus this is all 100% achievable, and you have as much chance as anyone else in reaching these levels. The Army is the place to find what you're made of. Hope all that helps, need anything else just reply to this post. All the best, Frank

Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Anonymous

Hi there, Thanks for the response, that was much more detailed than I thought it would be. Thanks :) Just a couple more questions though: Lets say I go to join the SRR. Will I become "part" of that regiment, as a Signal, or will it be slightly different(as in will I work in the same squadron, same people, etc). How will it work? Slightly off topic question, but will if I do join the SRR as a Signal, will I wear the RS beret or the SRR beret? Also, say I am incredibly bad at swimming. It's the only thing I struggle with. Say I dedicate my entire life to getting this job, complete with university degrees, extended training, all voluntary work etc, do you think that they would make an exception to the UKSF swim test? Let's say I can pass the regular swim test, but just not the UKSF one, will I still be able to join? How much training is given in preparation to the test? More smaller general questions: On average, how big are the teams I will be working with in the UKSF? If I want to change from SRR to SAS for example, will I have to go through the UKSF tests again? How often will I have to do the UKSF test? Only once, or will it be like a yearly check up type thing? If I become a Royal Signals Officer, will I be taught all the other Royal Signals roles? For example, non officer Signal roles as I last checked included: "Electronic Warfare & Signals Intelligence" and "Cyber Engineer". Will I be taught in depth how to do all these parts as well as the main role of an officer(managing the team etc)? Slightly off topic questions: What is the maximum age you can be in the Army, and in the SF? I know this might be a lot to answer but thanks a lot for doing so. It does really help :)

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Picture of Frank R.

Frank R.

Networking, Cyber Security, IT

Hi again, Glad those answers helped, I will try and do equally as well here. Unfortunately, the intricacies of being a Signals operative in the SRR is something I'm not overly aware of, so I wouldn't be able to accurately comment. However, best guess...I would say you would be an SRR Op, trained to their high standard and specifically for that role. Again, as far as berets are concerned, I am unsure as to which one you would wear. Although, I do know, that for these roles, you wouldn't wear a beret very often... As for moving from one SF unit to another, I would imagine (and again my best guess) that you would have to conduct the bespoke selection process for that particular unit (I don't believe the courses are 'one size fits all'). And if you wanted to move from say SFC to 22 SAS, you would have to pass the SAS selection process (as it is more arduous than SFC - and SFC is still pretty tough) - even if you had already done the SFC one. Unfortunately, I would also imagine that not being able to pass the UKSF swim test would be a deal breaker. It is there for a number of reasons, the biggest one is safety. As you could find yourself in a situation that demands a certain level of strength and proficiency in swimming (say ditching in open sea, but with a lot of kit on) i.e., being able to survive and effectively get yourself out of the water and carry on with the task in hand. That's why it is there. So you could be amazing at all the other facets of the role, but you would still need to be able to meet that minimum standard. Remember, they are not looking for 'super-soldiers'. They are looking for individuals who are aware of their weaknesses (because we all have them) to be able to work on them and then capitalise on their strengths. The standard is no way near impossible, you can achieve it. It just depends on how hard you are willing to work on that weakness. Not a huge amount of training is given here, so it would be a test to see where you are. In terms of team size, you will be working in very small HPTs (high-performing teams). These teams are unique because individuals are chosen on their leadership skills as well as team-cohesion/working skills. It's unique because if the Section Commander was incapacitated, anyone of the team could effectively step up and lead, and have the respect and support of each and every other member. That makes for a fluid, un-toxic, agile and highly adaptive team that can maximise output. The selection process is only conducted once for each unit. As far as ages, the Army will accept applications from 16 - 36 yrs old (max 29 for officer - however exceptions can be made). For SF units they all have different upper age limits, but again will consider individuals on a singular basis and if you are over the age requirement, they can (and have done) make exceptions. So don't worry too much about that. If you're a good soldier and want to serve there, they won't instantly chin you off because you're a little older. Hope all that helps again, if you have any more questions then you know what to do :)

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?