Picture of Hi! Is it possible to enter as a Director of Music, particularly if I've had significant conducting experience/training?

Hi! Is it possible to enter as a Director of Music, particularly if I've had significant conducting experience/training?

Picture of Rob
6 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Music and Ceremonial

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Saturday, August 3, 2019

Last reviewed: Thursday, April 16, 2020

Picture of Rob H.

Rob H.

Musician

Hi there To become a Director of Music you have to first join as an instrumentalist. Once you have been in a band for a certain amount of time and reached the required rank, you can apply for the Musical Direction Course. If selected, you will complete further training at the Royal Military School of Music before being posted out to a band as a Bandmaster. Following further experience and promotion in rank, you can then apply for a commission and then become a Director of Music. A Director of Music isn’t just the principal conductor of the band but also the officer commanding so there is more to it than just conducting. Hope this helps. Rob

Saturday, August 3, 2019

Sylvia Q.

What will be the question asked at the interview and what other documents do I need for my application and how ready should i prepare for everything, because am very ready.

Friday, April 3, 2020

Sylvia Q.

I have certificates in hotel catering and institutional management and I would to go further will i qualify. Thanks

Friday, April 3, 2020

Sylvia Q.

I love music but I don't know how to play any instrument

Friday, April 3, 2020

Sylvia Q.

Regarding the Covid 19 issues going on,do I still have a chance to be recruited because am very hopeful.thanks

Thursday, April 16, 2020

Picture of Bethan W.

Bethan W.

Defence Leadership

Hi Sylvia, unfortunately if you don't play a musical instrument you won't be able to join the Corps of Army Music. We have an audition process that requires potential applicants to be at least ABRSM Grade 5, or equivalent, on their instrument. If you are still interested in joining another branch of the British Army I would recommend having a look at the Army Role Finder here (https://apply.army.mod.uk/roles) to see what might suit you, and then following the steps to apply online. Hope that helps!

Thursday, April 16, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?