Picture of Hi! I was wondering if you can gain an undergrad music degree whilst serving in the Music Corps? Robin :)

Hi! I was wondering if you can gain an undergrad music degree whilst serving in the Music Corps? Robin :)

Picture of Bethan
3 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Music and Ceremonial

Category: Application Advice

Date asked: Sunday, February 9, 2020

Last reviewed: Sunday, February 9, 2020

Picture of Bethan W.

Bethan W.

Defence Leadership

Hi Robin, the answer is yes! You absolutely can. There are loads of opportunities to do continuous professional development including undergraduate music degrees whilst serving, and lots of Corps of Army Music musicians do this. Our most recent partnership was with the London College of Music, but there's lots of different avenues you can pursue depending on what you want to focus on. Finish that and there's also the opportunity to do post-graduate level certificates such as Licentiates and Fellowships with the Associated Board, and some musicians even use learning credits offered to everyone in the Army towards funding Masters degrees. If you're considering it then I'd urge you to get in touch with the Corps of Army Music engagement team who will be able to help you with more information. Just email them on: [email protected]. Hope that helps, and any more questions then fire away, Bethan

Sunday, February 9, 2020

Robin C.

Thank you so much Bethan this is incredibly helpful! I will definitely send them an email, but can I also ask what sort of time scale that would follow, e.g. how soon you could potentially start you’re qualification after joining, and if this lengthens you’re commitment to the army? Sorry to take up more of you’re time.

Sunday, February 9, 2020

Picture of Bethan W.

Bethan W.

Defence Leadership

Hi Robin, no worries at all. Happy to help! There are a whole range of options available. Perhaps the most eye catching is that the Corps of Army Music are running an undergraduate bursary scheme at the moment: for a 4 year commitment to British Army Music you receive a bursary of up to £9,250 per year for up to a 3 year period to offset tuition fees during university or music college studies. Alongside your studies, you would be encouraged to join an Army Reserve Band (where you could earn up to £5,000 in the first year), the University Officer Training Corps and/or attend frequent Army band events throughout the year. Once you've completed your studies, you must complete Basic Army Training and Initial Trade Training at the Royal Military School of Music, after which you will earn a salary of over £20,000. In order to be eligible for consideration for this you need to complete the general Army Application process and take a musical audition to confirm your suitability to join the British Army as a musician. Again, the engagement team at the email address [email protected], or call 0208 744 8668, will be able to help you. Was that useful? Keep in touch, Bethan

Sunday, February 9, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?