Picture of can you join if you've had depression treatment about a year ago but everything is fine now?, Thank you.

can you join if you've had depression treatment about a year ago but everything is fine now?, Thank you.

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

im seriously considering joining but im worried about this matter as i was diagnosed with depression about a year ago they gave me one course of treatment but now everything is fine i was just wondering if this is a barrier as i really ant to serve.

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Medical

Date asked: Monday, August 5, 2019

Last reviewed: Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, I am afraid military doctors don't do entry medicals as that is all managed by the recruiting team, however I will do my best to answer your question. Depression is certainly not a barrier to serving, but you will have to meet certain criteria. The guidelines are always being updated, but the things they will take into account will include; How long you suffered from depression for. What treatment you received, if you took medication how long you took it for. How many episodes of depression you have suffered from. Whether there were any triggers for your episode of depression. How long since your symptoms resolved and treatment stopped. I haven't given you the exact criteria as I don't have access to the latest guideline at the minute, and I wouldn't want to give you the wrong information! I would recommend starting your application, then the Medical Admin Team will be able to review your medical records and give you a more definitive answer. Best of luck!

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?