Picture of Can you join if you have a history of self harm and suicide attempts?

Can you join if you have a history of self harm and suicide attempts?

Picture of Jen
5 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Communications, Intelligence and IT

Category: General

Date asked: Saturday, May 22, 2021

Last reviewed: Thursday, February 10, 2022

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Mental health is taken very seriously in the Army as it has a huge duty of care to its people. If you have a recent history of self harm and suicide attempts you will unfortunately not get through the Medical process. The army can put a lot of pressure on people and take people outside their comfort zone so if you have suffered in the past from low periods that has led to self harm and suicide attempts there is a high probability it would happen again over the period of service life.

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Laura P.

Can I ask what is a recent history?

Friday, January 14, 2022

Picture of LCoH Ashley O.

LCoH Ashley O.

Recruiting Co-Ordinator at ACC Norwich

Hi Laura, thanks for your question. It's difficult to say to be completely honest as it generally depends on each individuals case and the situations they have been in. Whilst every case regarding mental health can be very serious, some situations and repercussions of it can be more severe and long lasting. So it's best to speak to your GP and/or someone from the medical team when going through the application process and they will be able to advise further on your own situation. It can of course be very disheartening if you are rejected from a job for medical reasons, but it's not always the end of the road. In some cases, it might just need a little more time to ensure you are 100% healthy before taking the step to joining the army. As my colleague mentioned above, the safety and overall health of our personnel and the people we serve is absolutely paramount, and if you might be at higher risk of coming into difficulties through service life because of your recent history, then it's in everyone's best interest to make sure you're as well looked after as possible and to remove that risk. I hope this answers your question, and i wish you the best of luck for the future.

Saturday, January 29, 2022

Aaron G.

i have applied and been rejected by the army because i self harmed when i was 14. I'm now 20 and have had no thoughts of doing anything like that again if I wait a few years would i have a chance of joining.

Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Anonymous

I have only ever had one incident of attempted suicide when I was 16 (I was in a troubled home and it was more of cry for help) after I moved out nothing like that has ever happened again. I’m 22 now and worked really hard and I am in the middle of doing my medical forms, will this incident 6 years ago stop me from joining

Thursday, February 10, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?