Picture of Is it possible to somehow be a Veterinary Officer and Dog Handler, each part time, at the same time?

Is it possible to somehow be a Veterinary Officer and Dog Handler, each part time, at the same time?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

I have really no idea of how things work here, but is it possible to be a Dog Handler reservist and at the same time a Veterinary Officer reservist? I am very interested in dog handling but don't want to sacrifice a career in veterinary for it either. So I was wondering if it's possible to do a stint in dog handling whilst still, overall, being a VO. The pay gap don't matter - it's just a keen interest of mine.

Sara Y. asked a question to Tori C.

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Sunday, September 1, 2019

Last reviewed: Monday, September 30, 2019

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, I would recommend starting an application and speaking to your recruiting officer about the exact details, however I will still try and answer your question. Regular veterinary officers do receive training on dog handling, although they won't serve as a dog handler. I would guess that as a reservist veterinary officer, you would also be able to attend a dog handling course. If you currently work as a Vet elsewhere, perhaps a reservist role as a dog handler may be what you would prefer? That way you still continue your career in the civilian world. As far as I know though, no, you cannot be both a veterinary officer and a dog handler at the same time. It is perhaps worth mentioning that veterinary officers are always officers, whereas dog handlers are soldiers. I hope that goes some way to answering your question!

Monday, September 30, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?