Picture of What’s the day to day routine?

What’s the day to day routine?

Picture of Aidan
3 responses

Additional information

Should I join the army as a junior soldier? Why did you join the army?

Anonymous asked a question to British Army

Category: Day to Day

Date asked: Sunday, October 20, 2019

Last reviewed: Sunday, May 3, 2020

Zoe O.

Corporal, Adjutant General's Corps, Staff and Personnel Support AGC(SPS).

Good Morning, So I see you have asked three questions here so I will answer each individually. 1. What's the day to day routine? I will answer this question specifically to my job because a soldier's day to day routine will differ depending on which Corps or trade you choose. I am a soldier within the Adjutant General's Corps, Staff and Personnel Support AGC(SPS). My day to day routine consists of working within an office environment and dealing with pay and administration. However, no day is the same in my job because I can find myself taking part in military training and exercises and also physical training so you are not stuck in the office all the time. 2. Should I join the army as a junior solider? This solely depends on if you are looking to do higher education, if you want to work in a different job first or if you are looking to join the army as soon as possible. If you are looking to do higher education then my advice to you would be to achieve your desired qualifications then possibly join the Army afterwards? Same advice if you want to work somewhere else first. You can join the Regular Army up to the age of 36 and a minimum age of 16. If you are looking to join the Army as soon as possible then depending on the Corps/trade you join, you will attend the Army Foundation College at Harrogate and your Basic Training will be slightly longer compared to those who join at an older age. Plenty of people join the Army at the age of 16. I joined at 18 and I did my Basic Training at Pirbright for 14 weeks because I wanted to go to college and obtain my A-levels first. 3. Why did you join the Army? At the age of 14-15 I attended a Look at Life course for my Work experience during school with the Army. We stayed on a military barracks and we learned some basic soldiering skills such as marching, fitness and living outside in the field. I thoroughly enjoyed my time on this course and decided that the Army was for me. I started my application when I was 15 years and 7 months old but I attended college before I started Basic Training to get my A-Levels. I originally joined the Royal Logistic Corps in 2012 but three years later I decided to transfer to the AGC(SPS). I love what I do and I am looking at a long career in the Army. I hope this helps. Zoe

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Picture of Aidan H.

Aidan H.

Sabre Troop Sgt, Regimental Gunnery Instructor

Day to day routine, My day normally starts at 0815 with some form of PT, except for Wednesdays. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday will be at Sub Unit level and could be anything from Circuits to sports to running. Friday will be Colonels PT which is often inter sqn competitions or Military style stuff that involves getting muddy. Generally hard work but fun. After PT it will be back to work for about 1030 when we will generally start work properly. Some form of low level training, weapons or working on vehicles for a couple of hours. Then Lunch when there is enough time for me to do some phys and still have something to eat. In the afternoons, carry on with work till around about 1630. Some people will then do phys again before evening meal. From about 1700 or so, its your own time. Wednesdays are different, the Morning is normal work however the afternoon is generally down to sports or personal fitness. Most units will participate in various sports and have various teams, there should be the chance to do any sport you can think of at some point. Fridays are often different as well. After Colonels PT, back to work for 1030 and then should be finished work for lunchtime. Some weeks are different and you will work longer hours and be busy, other weeks will be PT then not much else. Some weeks you should also get a late start on a Monday. If you're busy, its busy, however generally it can be quite chilled.

Friday, February 28, 2020

Anonymous

I am thinking of joining next September when I have finished school and get higher grades during my training. I am having trouble on ways to tell my mum what I want to do and why.

Sunday, May 3, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?