British Army
Veterinary corps and paid education
Picture of Tori
1 response
Additional information
Hello, I am Canadian and have received an offer of admission from The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies, could I join the veterinary corps and have my studies paid?
Melissa D. asked a question to Medical
Category: Open positions
Date asked: Saturday, May 16, 2020
Last reviewed: Sunday, May 17, 2020
Picture of Tori C.
Tori C.
Regimental Medical Officer
Hi Melissa, Congratulations on your offer. I would recommend discussing your query with our recruitment team, the easiest way to do this is starting an application on line. Alternatively, their phone number is available on our website. We do offer veterinary bursaries, you would need to apply while you are still at university, before the end of January. You should apply not later than your second year to qualify for the full amount. You must pass the Army Officer Selection Board for professionally qualified officers and the Army Selection Board for Royal Army Veterinary Corps to qualify. You must also start initial Officer training at Sandhurst before your 29th birthday. The bursary is open to candidates who will graduate with an Army endorsed veterinary degree and intend to join the Royal Army Veterinary Corps as a Vet for at least 4 years. It is paid in annual instalments of £5,000 during your final three years of university then a lump sum of £45,000 on successful completion of Officer training. You will also be paid an Army salary or a lump sum of £5,000 during each of two years of professional development. So you could put the money towards your studies, but depending on your fees, it may not cover them completely. In regards to being Canadian, as far as I know, while the Army does accept applications from commonwealth applicants, there are only certain roles available, which is why your query is best discussed with the recruitment team. I am also not sure on whether the bursary is available to commonwealth applicants. Best of luck with your application.
Sunday, May 17, 2020
This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.
Did you find this discussion helpful?