What are the asthma rules for the army ?
Picture of Jen
Picture of Jen
9 responses
Anonymous asked a question to Medical
Category: Company Info
Date asked: Sunday, January 24, 2021
Last update: Friday, November 19, 2021
Picture of Tori C.
Tori C.
Regimental Medical Officer
Hello, The rules on asthma (and all medical conditions) are regularly updated and are often considered on a case by case basis during the appeals process. Generally speaking, if you require treatment for asthma you will not be eligible. If you have had treatment in the past, then it will depend how long ago that was, how old you were at the time, what your symptoms were, and how much and how long you needed treatment for.
Wednesday, January 27, 2021
Aran L.
I was prescribed an inhaler 2 years ago. I never use my inhaler, never need to use it after any explosive exercise, i never have asthma attack or suffer from asthma. Is it possible to join paras?
Wednesday, September 22, 2021
Picture of Jen C.
Jen C.
Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS
Because you were prescribed and the prescription was collected it will be on your medical records. Regardless of whether you use it, you have been prescribed it relatively recently (2yrs). You'd have to appeal and go through a lengthy medical process to prove that you are not asthmatic or have symptoms. Unfortunately people have been prescribed inhalers for having chest infections and this has caused issues for them joining the army.
Thursday, September 23, 2021
Aran L.
If i have not suffered from a chest infection will i be eligible if proven on medical and proven i do not have any asthmatic? i do not want to apply and fail. i want to know if i will pass medical first, Thanks
Picture of Jen C.
Jen C.
Unfortunately I can't answer that question - no one can until you apply and they can check your medical records. If you are rejected on medical grounds they will tell you how to appeal and you can go through the appeal process.
Aran L.
Okay, I will just apply and see what happens, Feeling confident, Thanks
Dominic C.
My Son has recently applied and been turned down, even after an appeal due to asthma, but he's not had any asthma issues in 14 years. Could he appeal again?
Tuesday, September 28, 2021
Picture of Jen C.
Jen C.
If your son has recently applied and appealed and the appeal was rejected I suppose you could appeal again but the chances of it being over turned would be rare. The issue may lay with, even if he's not had an asthma issues in 14yrs, if he had a prescribed inhaler in the last 14yrs no one can really tell whether it was used or not and the Dr can't say for certain he hasn't had asthma in 14yrs if an inhaler was prescribed (and collected). Unfortunately each case has to be looked at on a case by case basis.
Wednesday, October 6, 2021
Anonymous
Hello, I am a rejoiner and when I first joined previously I had asthma come up at my assessment Centre where I had to conduct a spirometry test. When reapplying I have had to appeal the asthma through NRC. Just wondering if anyone can help why this is that I’ve previously passed medical requirements and now I’m needing to appeal it, surely it’s not my army records that I’ve passed the spiro test before. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Friday, November 19, 2021
This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.