Picture of What are the requirements for housing within the Army?

What are the requirements for housing within the Army?

Picture of Greg
1 response

Luke Q. asked a question to Communications, Intelligence and IT

Category: About us

Date asked: Monday, September 2, 2019

Last reviewed: Thursday, September 5, 2019

Picture of Greg H.

Greg H.

Royal Military Police NCO

Hi Luke, I am presuming you are asking from the point of view of occupying service accommodation. There are two types of living accommodation; single living accommodation (SLA) and Service Families Accommodation (SFA). SLA is the default accommodation and is provided to all soldiers on enlistment. This consists of a single room within a communal block. Some are en-suite, some, well not so much. Most of our SLA have undergone some modernisation so it is usually of a good standard. If you are married, in a civil partnership of have primary parental responsibility for one or more children you will be entitled to SFA. These are flats or houses with 2 or more bedrooms which are allocated depending on your circumstances. I started off as a single soldier and had a variety of different SLA throughout the world. I then got married and have lived in SFA ever since. One of the great things is that although not free, the accommodation is pretty cheap as it is subsidised by the Army. I currently live in a 3 bed house and pay £300 a month rent. I hope this helps, but if not let me know and I will answer where I can.

Thursday, September 5, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?