Is there eyesight standards for specific roles?
Picture of Tori
6 responses
Additional information
I was just wondering if there is any eyesight standards I have to meet during the assessment centre? I am wanting to go for the role Operator Technical Intelligence.
Anonymous asked a question to Medical
Category: Medical
Date asked: Saturday, August 17, 2019
Last update: Tuesday, June 2, 2020
Picture of Tori C.
Tori C.
Regimental Medical Officer
Hello, Yes there are various eyesight standards (for example potential pilots will need much better eyesight than most other applicants). The standards for roles will vary, but the majority of the army will need to have a prescription better than +6 or -6. The most up to date information will be available from the medical team once you start your application. Unfortunately military doctors do not work in recruiting and so I am unable to be more specific, but I hope that helps!
Sunday, August 18, 2019
Reece F.
So I would be relatively ok with -4 in both eyes and have to wear glasses?
Monday, August 19, 2019
Picture of Tori C.
Tori C.
Yes, lots of people have prescriptions similar to yours (myself included!). I am afraid I can't comment on requirements for specific roles, but for the vast majority of roles in the Army your eyesight is well within the entry requirements.
Tuesday, August 20, 2019
Reece F.
That is great, thank you very much!
Tuesday, August 20, 2019
Shiraz Y.
Can i join, for any trade, if my vision is blurry (uncorrectable) in left eye?
Monday, June 1, 2020
Picture of Tori C.
Tori C.
Hi Shiraz, Some trades do require near perfect vision, so if you do not have that in both eyes, you may be limited in your choice. During the application process your eyesight will be tested and you will be advised what roles are open to you. You will be required to meet a certain standard in both eyes.
Tuesday, June 2, 2020
This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.