Picture of are there any roles in the army that don't involve drill?

are there any roles in the army that don't involve drill?

3 responses

Additional information

I passed out doing drill at the cadets and it put me right off the whole organisation

Joseph D. asked a question to British Army

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Monday, August 12, 2019

Last reviewed: Thursday, March 5, 2020

Georgina Z.

Marketing Manager

No, but don’t worry we will teach you how to do it without passing out. We don’t want people fainting on parade so just let your instructors and bosses know so they can manage it. I know what you mean though, standing still for that long makes the blood drain out of your head and you feel dizzy and it can go black! I wiggle my toes and clench various muscles to prevent that! You’ll be fine with a bit of training.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Joseph, Every regiment in the British Army will conduct drill, some more than others. It’s all part of the process and it instils discipline. There are parades and events annually in which a lot of regiments participate in such as remembrance, pass off and the queens birthday etc where you will be required to do drill. J

Friday, November 1, 2019

Picture of Aidan H.

Aidan H.

Sabre Troop Sgt, Regimental Gunnery Instructor

Drill is part of the whole discipline side of the army. It develops you to react to a familiar order which is vital in battle whatever role you do. However, as people have already said, its very unit dependant. We do drill a couple of times a year for parades etc but its not too bad. Chances are, you will do a little bit of drill every day, even if its just a guard mount or PT. Its something you get used to. Its not too much. Having seen some Cadet units, its a major thing. In reailty, probably a lot more than the regular army. However, that being said, if you don't enjoy drill, don't join something like the Household division.

Thursday, March 5, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?