British Army
Basic training - what to bring?
Picture of Katie
Picture of James
9 responses
Additional information
I want to buy an 18th Birthday present for my nephew that will help him as a trainee Combat Medical Technician (e.g. a watch or kit). He has already started the joining process.
Hitesh D. asked a question to Combat
Category: Role Description
Date asked: Wednesday, April 29, 2020
Last reviewed: Tuesday, July 28, 2020
Picture of Katie
Katie
Staff Officer - Projects for People
Hi Hitesh, What a lovely gesture, I’m sure your nephew will be really touched. I think the idea of a watch is a really good one, as there is such a range available you’ll be able to find the perfect one to suit your budget. I would make sure it is reliable enough to keep good time (punctuality is VERY important in the military), I would also go for one which is waterproof so he can wear it during all his training (on wet exercises and swimming training etc). Katie
Wednesday, April 29, 2020
Picture of James M.
James M.
Reconnaissance Platoon soldier
Great gesture! Hitesh, your nephew will get given a kit list for basic training once he has passed assessment centre and has been allocated a training date he is happy with. It may be worth waiting until then as he will know what he is required to bring. During basic training there are limited items you can wear/use as you will be issued everything needed. A watch is a good idea as you are not issued one, however I wouldn’t spend a lot of money on one as there is a good chance he will be crawling about with it on! Hope this helps J
Wednesday, April 29, 2020
Picture of Steven R.
Steven R.
Light-role Infantryman
Just as everyone has said above, this is an excellent gesture. The problem with most gifts however is that during your Basic Training there is strictly only issued kit worn in regards to most items of kit. A watch however is not a part of this and could be a great idea. There are some great watches for wear in the field however they to come at quite a price. I myself usually spend about £20 on a watch and replace as necessary but It's up to you how much you wish to spend. Hope you find the right gift.
Thursday, April 30, 2020
Charlotte-Mae H.
hi does anyone have a good recommendations for a watch?
Monday, July 27, 2020
Picture of James M.
James M.
I wouldn’t spend too much. I would simply go for one that tells the time. There will be a bit of crawling about, don’t risk damaging and expensive one J
Tuesday, July 28, 2020
Anonymous
Hi could you recommend any good brands or what sort of watch i should go for? Thankyou for your help
Tuesday, July 28, 2020
Picture of James M.
James M.
A £10 Casio watch from Argos will do the trick, nothing too shiney! J
Tuesday, July 28, 2020
Anonymous
Okay cool thankyou!
Tuesday, July 28, 2020
Picture of James M.
James M.
No problem! Goodluck
Tuesday, July 28, 2020
This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.
Did you find this discussion helpful?