Picture of How to best prepare for infantry training?

How to best prepare for infantry training?

9 responses

Molly L. asked during the live chat Discover different roles in the Army to British Army

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Last reviewed: Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Martin F.

Infantry soldier

Hey, best advice I can give you for joining the infantry is to focus on your fitness. Its not the be all and end all of the infantry but it will give you a massive boost as you will be tested in alot of aspects. If you've got the ability maybe try and learn a little about map reading before training aswell as it will put you above your peers.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Molly L.

Okay cheers that's really useful I will defo get onto map reading and what do you recommend fitness wise I'm starting to try running with weight atm?

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Martin F.

Infantry soldier

There's alot of arguments against running with weight as I've met people who say it helps and others who swear by circuits and general strength training . In my personal opinion I wouldn't run with it to start with going a long walk getting used to the weight would be more beneficial. I'd strongly recommend fartlek and interval training aswell as circuits and the occasional long distance run. However if you download the army fit app it has plenty of fitness guides that you can follow.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Molly L.

Okay thats good to know thanks I will try that and yeah I've finished the app it was really useful do you know if thats the kind of standard for the PT sessions?

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Martin F.

Infantry soldier

Im going to be honest with you I've not used the app, however most pt sessions will be slightly different from the app. PT sessions happen every morning in Monday Tuesday Thursday and Friday throughout the infantry. The gym staff will decide whats needed so could be a run one day then a circuit then a weighted run (TAB) then on a Friday is normally a harder session maybe obstacle course or stretcher run. You may have thought I forgot wednesday however Wednesdays are reserved for sport so every wednesday afteroon you can go play football hockey golf boxing or whatever sport you fancy

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Molly L.

Aha thank you thats really useful honestly best advice I have gotten so far after reading and watching so much so thank you!! One last question honestly how do men view women in/ trying to jooin the infantry as I believe its heavily male dominated and has a strong brotherhood

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Martin F.

Infantry soldier

No thats what we're here for. Well if I'm totally honest with you I couldn't care if I have a male or female beside me if you passed training to be in the infantry and your competent then you've earned the right to be there. As for it being male dominated it is but thats because females couldn't join but in most tours theres female medics who will come on patrol with you aswell as the engineers and other trades who attach onto infantry.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Molly L.

Okay good to know thank you so so much :)

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Martin F.

Infantry soldier

No problem

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?