Picture of What was basic training like for you? Any tips?

What was basic training like for you? Any tips?

1 response

Sarah S. asked a question to British Army

Category: Interview Tips

Date asked: Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Last reviewed: Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Zoe O.

Corporal, Adjutant General's Corps, Staff and Personnel Support AGC(SPS).

Hello Sarah. Thank you for your question. I think this is a very useful question not only for yourself but for other people who may read this. So I will answer this honestly and it is totally my opinion so other people may have different tips and experiences. Firstly, before you start basic training, I would advise you to use the ArmyFit app. Before I joined, I made sure I was at a good level of fitness so I was prepared for the physical training aspect of Basic Training. You are not required to be an athlete but having a good level of starting fitness will definitely make things easier for you. The ArmyFit app will help you prepare. The fitness sessions are progressive so don't worry too much about it. Secondly, have a positive attitude. Some parts of Basic Training can be challenging but if you keep a positive attitude, it will make the experience easier for you and others. Basic Training doesn't last forever, remember that. And finally, be a team player. People find different things harder or easier than others in Basic Training. If there is something you find easier then make sure you spend time helping those who don't find it as easy. The favour will be re-payed if there was something you needed help with. You will find that you all have to work together to get yourself through it, this is how you make friends for life. I enjoyed Basic Training overall. My training was 14 weeks at Pirbright. Some parts I found hard and some I found really enjoyable but it is all worth it in the end when you march off the parade square on your pass-off parade in front of your friends and family and then experience the career in the Army that you've worked hard to get. I hope this helps. Good Luck! Zoe

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?