Picture of Can anyone give me an insight into how much of a clinical role a nursing officer has - is it more admin heavy? Thanks

Can anyone give me an insight into how much of a clinical role a nursing officer has - is it more admin heavy? Thanks

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

Differences between role of nursing soldier and officer.

Emily N. asked a question to Medical

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Friday, May 15, 2020

Last reviewed: Sunday, May 17, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hi Emily, I am not a nurse, but will answer as best I can. I would recommend discussing this topic in more detail with the recruitment team when you apply (if you start an application it won't tie you in to anything, but will give you more opportunity to ask questions). Nursing officer jobs seem to vary quite considerably, some roles are not clinical at all and you do the same work a Medical Support Officer would do. Other roles are clinical but with a managerial role, for example working as the senior nurse in a military medical centre. And there are roles which are predominantly clinical, I have met lots of nursing officers working in hospital on clinical rotas. Nursing soldiers seem to fill more 'clinical' roles, but sometimes these roles don't have much clinical work. For example a nursing soldier in a medical regiment will do a similar role to the combat medical technicians, and clinical work will mostly be in the form of clinical teaching, moulages and training, rather than seeing patients. The only thing I would add, would be that even if you are in a managerial role as a nursing officer, your deployments are likely to be in a clinical role. So for example, during your job as a troop commander at a medical regiment, you may deploy in a clinical role, either with your unit, or as an individual augmentee (someone attached temporarily to another unit).

Sunday, May 17, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?