Picture of Can you please link me with a medical commissioned officer?

Can you please link me with a medical commissioned officer?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

I am a young medical doctor, a citizen of Nigeria and I would love a career in the medical department of the british army

Aquila U. asked a question to Medical

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Monday, April 6, 2020

Last reviewed: Monday, April 6, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, I am a medical officer, is there anything in particular you would like to know? Some initial advice that you might find useful. Please see here for whether you are eligible to join the British army https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-join/nationality Not all roles are open to commonwealth soldiers (when applications are open) but the recruitment team should be able to advise you on what is available when you apply. To work as a doctor in the UK you are required to demonstrate you meet the foundation competencies. This is either achieved by working for the NHS and completing the foundation programme, or by working as a trust grade doctor and being assessed. More information on working as a doctor in the UK can be found here https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/doctors/information-overseas-doctors To join the army as a doctor you must also join as an officer. This means you must pass the officer selection board, a medical and an interview the army medical services. At present, it is quite competitive. Junior doctors will undergo officer training at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst on the short commissioning course, after this they complete the postgraduate medical officers course. They then complete a couple of years serving as a general duties medical officer prior to choosing which specialty they would like to train in. I hope this information is useful, if you have any specific questions about being a medical officer please do let me know. If you have questions about the application process or your eligibility to join then please either start an application or contact our recruiting team (0345 600 8080). Thank you.

Monday, April 6, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?