Picture of Main differences between solider and officer role? Does an officer work hands on as a nurse and have combat exposure?

Main differences between solider and officer role? Does an officer work hands on as a nurse and have combat exposure?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Role Comparison

Date asked: Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Last reviewed: Monday, June 22, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, I am not a nurse myself, and currently we do not have any nurses on this platform, so while I will do my best to answer your question, I would advise speaking to the recruiting team in more detail about this when you apply. As far as I know, the main difference is the level of responsibility, particularly at the start of your career, and also the path your career follows. Nursing officers may be assigned to either clinical jobs or managerial jobs fairly early in their career. In their managerial jobs they will fill a role similar to that of a Military Support Officer (MSO). The clinical roles they take on are likely to have more of a managerial aspect, for instance a role as a matron/sister. While nursing soldiers may also go on to do managerial roles, this will usually be later on in their career and will be different to the roles filled by nursing officers. At the start of their career they will be predominantly clinical. For example, at a medical regiment, a nursing officer may be a troop commander (a role also done by MSOs), they will look after a troop of soldiers, this will include nurses (that are soldiers), combat medical technicians, paramedics etc.. In answer to the second part of your question, yes nursing officers may work hands on and have combat exposure.

Monday, June 22, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?