Picture of How does going through University through the Army (student nurse role) differ to being a civilian student?

How does going through University through the Army (student nurse role) differ to being a civilian student?

Picture of Tori
8 responses

Additional information

How does accommodation work? How does british army student life work? e.g. sleeping, eating, exercise, studying, weekends? How does the process work compared to a regular soldier?

Kacie-Lea W. asked a question to Medical

Category: Role Comparison

Date asked: Sunday, June 7, 2020

Last reviewed: Friday, July 3, 2020

Rachel L.

Medical Support Officer

I have not gone through this process myself so your best bet is to go via the recruitment cell or indeed your local Armed Forces Centre where they will have access to this information. My understanding is that if you are employed by the Army and they fund you through University this includes accommodation, food allowance and you would be attending University the same as your civilian counterpart. You keep yourself fit and up to the Army standards of fitness. So I do not see the role differing much other than you are employed by the Army and you come under their standards. Please contact the recruitment on this however, as your questions are quite specific of which I can not answer myself I am afraid. I hope this helps slightly.

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Kacie-Lea - I have forward your query to one of our nursing colleagues, I'll put her answer on here once she gets back to me.

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Perhaps not as much detail as you're after, but one of our recently qualified nurses sent me this. 'The financial benefit of going through with the military cannot be overlooked as you get paid through university where the civilian students don’t. The support system seems to be a lot more robust compared to our civilian counterparts for e.g support for assignments and dyslexia reports being done within days rather than months. The fact we definitely have a job when we qualify is a bonus and you get to live with people on the same course as you so you can easily help each other.' As Rachel said above, you will be able to get more information during the application process from the recruitment team. I hope that helps. Best of luck with your application.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Sami C.

I'm interested in joining as a student nurse when I finish A Levels, but do I apply through UCAS and is there a specific time window to apply?

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Kacie-Lea W.

For Sami - the research I’ve carried out, you’d apply through the army but would have to make sure you have the minimum 120 UCAS points needed for the nursing course at BCU. When I called up, I was also told they have one intake for student nurses a year and it was around the February time. Carry out phase 1 and then phase 2 for 3 years at BCU.

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Sami C.

So do you mean phase 1 all the potential student nurses would do their basic training together?

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Picture of Jordon W.

Jordon W.

Combat Medical Technician

It is pretty much the same you go to University to study a degree however your on the Army payroll so you get paid for doing it with extra allowances for accommodation etc. You will also have certain commitments to fill so you would still need to undergo training as you would be working in a different environment to that of the civilian counterpart.

Friday, July 3, 2020

Kacie-Lea W.

For Sami - theres 2 intakes for student nurses. One for phase 1 in May to start Uni in Sep and one for phase 1 in Sep to start uni in Jan. So, to answer a portion of your question, student nurses will only be taken on these two intakes, but from my knowledge you can be in a mixed platoon of all different cap badges as phase 1 is just basic soldiering

Friday, July 3, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?