Picture of Do you think have a degree makes a difference in the army?

Do you think have a degree makes a difference in the army?

Picture of Katie
5 responses

Additional information

I have a place at uni to start in sept 2020 for sport science but I want to join the army. Finding it hard making the decision of which to chose.

Emma D. asked a question to Combat

Category: Role Comparison

Date asked: Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Last reviewed: Friday, May 22, 2020

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi Emma, This is a really personal question and you need to decide what is right for you. Are you intending to join as an officer or a soldier? Once I know this I can tailor my advice to you a little better. Katie

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Emma D.

Hi Katie, Thanks for the speedy reply! I was planning as joining as an soldier then applying to become an officer in a couple years if that’s allowed. However, if I go to uni I’d join straight away as an officer.

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi Emma, Either of those courses of action are possible. You can join as an officer or a soldier with or without a degree, it isn’t required for either avenue. The main thing is to make sure you are mature enough, and have enough life experience to be able to understand and advise your soldiers, but either of your courses of action would ensure that. It probably comes down to whether you feel ready to join now, or if you’d like a little more time at university before starting your training. If you do decide to go to university I’d recommend looking into joining either the Reserves or the University Officer Training Corps which will give you some great experience before joining up (not to mention making some great friends and earning a bit of extra money). Good luck and please come back to me if there is anything else I can help with. Katie

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Emma D.

Thank you very much for your help and advice!

Thursday, May 21, 2020

Picture of Aidan H.

Aidan H.

Sabre Troop Sgt, Regimental Gunnery Instructor

Its all down to what you want to do. I had a degree before joining the army and had a look at Officer, however I decided that I was more suited to being a soldier. Think about what is best for yourself. I would recommend University just for the experience. Its three years of growing up and deciding who you are. Plus its fun. I'm still really close to some of my uni friends.

Friday, May 22, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?