Picture of Do the army offer undergraduate (2nd year) 1 year internships?

Do the army offer undergraduate (2nd year) 1 year internships?

2 responses

Anonymous asked a question to HR, Finance and Support

Category: Internship

Date asked: Sunday, February 23, 2020

Last reviewed: Thursday, February 27, 2020

Georgina Z.

Marketing Manager

Hi I have taken some advice on this as I am no expert on this sort of policy. The short answer, unfortunately is no, we do not currently offer undergraduate internships, but this is something which we (the Army) may well consider in future. Gap Year Commission (GYC) is currently open to individuals prior to University. It offers an opportunity for individuals to spend a gap year, prior to University, as a commissioned officer. Selected applicants attend Modules A to E of the Commissioning Course (Short) (CC(S)) at RMAS and receive any bespoke Phase 2 training, as deemed appropriate by the employing unit, before joining a Field Army unit. The officers then spend the rest of the year conducting routine duties and training with their Field Army units. The Lead First Scheme offers an opportunity for up to 30 junior Army Reserve officers per annum to serve full time in an Army Reserve unit, for a Full Time Reserve Service (FC) Lead First Commitment of up to 12 months. The full-time service is with the Army Reserve and participants will be held against the Army Reserve liability. The purpose of the scheme is to promote the benefits of Army Reserve service through involvement in a year of training and attachment to both Army Reserve and Regular Army units. A candidate could apply to join the Army Reserve at any stage and then apply for Lead First. However, one is not a guarantee of the other and they would need to follow the general process for joining as an Army Reserve officer first before applying for Lead First. I hope that helps, if you need to know more, ask away and I will ask the correct people.

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Craig B.

Hi Georgina, thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. Some people I know from other universities have done a 1 year internship, I'll try and reach out to them and ask how they went about it. It may be the case that this was offered in the past but they no longer offer it. Either way, thank you.

Thursday, February 27, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?