Picture of How does the career progression and career opportunities of an army doctor/ surgeon compare with that of an NHS doctor?

How does the career progression and career opportunities of an army doctor/ surgeon compare with that of an NHS doctor?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

If I were to join the army as a junior doctor would I have opportunities to develop my career as a GDMO and a surgical trainee in the same way that I would in the NHS? And would integration back into the NHS or other career routes after the army be easy to access/ have an equal chance to compete for as with civilian doctors?

Anonymous asked a question to Tori C.

Category: Role Comparison

Date asked: Thursday, April 8, 2021

Last reviewed: Friday, April 9, 2021

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, I get asked this question relatively frequently, and in the end it comes down to what would you be doing if you weren't a GDMO? If you plan to work as a surgical trust grade for 3 years before applying, then you will have more surgical experience than a GDMO, if you plan to go travelling and maybe work in Australia for a bit, then you probably won't have developed your CV as much as you would do as a GDMO. Once you become a surgical trainee with the military, you follow the same training pathway as your NHS colleagues. In terms of career opportunities, then you will probably have the same amount, but they may differ. Integration back into the NHS is usually straight forward.

Friday, April 9, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?