Picture of Army Medicine (MO) Bursary - return of service concerns. Exactly how long after I graduate do I have to stay?

Army Medicine (MO) Bursary - return of service concerns. Exactly how long after I graduate do I have to stay?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

I ask because on the army medicine website it says 4 years but elsewhere it says 6 years. I also had concerns about being deployed to phase 1 or 2 posts?.. I'd much rather work in a brick and mortar medical treatment facility and not in a barracks in active war zones. I think I would love to be deployed overseas e.g. Mali to help with aid work but not war zones. What is the likelihood of this for me if I express clearly that its not my cup of tea. Do you think my view on this means I should withdraw my application?

Anonymous asked a question to Tori C.

Category: Application process

Date asked: Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Last reviewed: Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, I agree the return of service bit isn't the clearest! It's 6 years after you graduate. The reason it says 4 years, is because technically you can't start a return of service until you commission, and you won't commission until you attend RMAS after you finish FY2. So 6 years post graduation. But 4 years of 'service' from when you commission after FY2. In regards to the preferences with deployments and postings. We are encouraged to have preferences, but with the understanding that we have to do what is required of us at the end of the day. In regards to working in bricks and mortar, it depends what you mean by that. The vast majority of deployments as a GDMO will consist of working out of a tent, a vehicle or nothing at all. It's actually places that are slightly higher risk, but more established, that have buildings for us to use. So if you're not comfortable with working without a building to work from, then I would perhaps consider whether the Army is for you. In regards to war zones vs aid work, it really depends on what you view the difference to be. A lot of MOs before they join perhaps have a different view of what working in a high risk environment means, and I wouldn't want to advise you to reconsider a career choice without knowing your reasons behind not wanting to work in certain environments. I hope that helps, let me know if you need me to expand on anything I have said above.

Tuesday, November 24, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?