Picture of If you're unsuccessful at any stage in becoming a pilot, can you leave? Or are you contractually obligated to stay?

If you're unsuccessful at any stage in becoming a pilot, can you leave? Or are you contractually obligated to stay?

1 response

Additional information

I'm looking to join the aac as a pilot. What I want to know is whether or not you're contractually stuck in the army if you don't pass the selection process to become a pilot. In other words, if at any point you don't pass muster, can you leave or do you get put into another role?

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Saturday, January 23, 2021

Last reviewed: Friday, February 26, 2021

Madeline J.

Wildcat Pilot

Hi there, Thank you for your question. If you fail at any part of the selection process before starting the Pilots' Course then you are not contractually obliged to stay in the AAC; however you would still need to serve out your remaining time that you have agreed to on completion of your Phase 1 training (either Sandhurst or soldier training.) Clearly if you have undergone the selection process prior to joining (for the officer route) then you are not required to join the service if you fail. If you fail the Pilots' Course at any stage once you have been selected then this will depend on the circumstances and at what stage you have failed. I cannot give you a definitive answer because of these variables but what I can say is that plenty of people who have failed have either stayed in the AAC or moved into another cap-badge and gone on to have a successful, long career. At that point it would be your choice as to whether you stay AAC or go elsewhere. I hope that helps. Take care, Maddie

Friday, February 26, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?