Picture of Dear Madeline. As an officer pilot are you able to stay flying your whole career? Many thanks.

Dear Madeline. As an officer pilot are you able to stay flying your whole career? Many thanks.

3 responses

Anonymous asked a question to British Army

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Sunday, March 21, 2021

Last reviewed: Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Madeline J.

Wildcat Pilot

Hi there, thanks for your question. As an officer pilot you will not necessarily stay flying for your whole career. If you decide to become a Qualified Helicopter Instructor (QHI) you will more than likely spend the majority of your career in the cockpit. For all other roles, like progressing up the ranks to Major and above, it is likely that you will spend a portion of your career not flying. Usually most front line OCs (Majors) will fly as will some COs (Lt Col). I hope that helps answer your question. Please let me know if I can help further. Take care, Maddie

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Harry J.

Thank you very much for your reply, may I ask how much choice you get as to whether or not you can become an instructor or go through the ranks?

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Madeline J.

Wildcat Pilot

Hi Harry, You have a fair bit of choice but you need to be recommended to become an instructor which involves a few extra tests and some extra training. Hope that helps, Maddie

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?