Picture of Did you feel disadvantaged as a female trying to become an Army pilot?

Did you feel disadvantaged as a female trying to become an Army pilot?

Best discussions & stories
2 responses

Anonymous asked a question to British Army

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Sunday, February 23, 2020

Last reviewed: Friday, February 28, 2020

Madeline J.

Wildcat Pilot

Good morning, Thanks so much for getting in touch with your question. I can't say that I have ever felt disadvantaged at all but there is definitely a subtle difference to going through something like the pilots' course as a minority rather than the majority. I have been fortunate to be one of two females throughout my time on the course and by luck I am also very good friends with the other girl. So not only have I had a bit of female companionship but she's also one of my really good mates! Naturally if you are the only girl or one of very few girls then the spotlight is on you a little more than your male counterparts. I also think that you put more pressure on yourself to do well and blend in. In terms of flying, you are treated exactly the same as any of the males and given exactly the same opportunities and pay. As with any job, there will always be one or two individuals who might try to give you a hard time about being slightly different but I find that a bit of humour normally throws this off! Also, if there were any serious problems with sexism, I have always felt able to go to my chain of command and report it. I know it would be dealt with straight away as a matter of urgency. I hope that helps answer your question. Please let me know if I can help further. Have a nice weekend, Maddie

Friday, February 28, 2020

Ellen W.

Yes, thank you that is very helpful and good to hear.

Friday, February 28, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?