Picture of what’s it like being a female in the army? how did you find it and what were the challenges?

what’s it like being a female in the army? how did you find it and what were the challenges?

Picture of Jen
1 response

Additional information

i’m a female that’s wanting to join as a medic combat technician and i’m wondering how it is from a females point of view. was it harder to get along with people, how many other females were there, would you recommend it?

Tayla R. asked a question to British Army

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Monday, September 20, 2021

Last reviewed: Monday, September 20, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, i think everyone is different. Being a female in the army you're definitely in the minority overall but in certain jobs then you could be in the majority. Even if you were in a trade (ie vehicle mechanic) that was very heavily male dominated there would still be females on the same camp (Clerks, med techs, chefs etc etc) so you would never be completely a lone female. I have been on courses where i've been the only female in a syndicate but despite being older than most of the lads they really looked out for me like i was a little sister! Sometimes it's funny! You definitely can't take yourself too seriously as the guys sometimes have a weird sense of humour but i don't mind it. As someone who left the army and rejoined - i love being in the army, i love my job and the lifestyle. How many other jobs do you get where you don't need to think about what to wear everyday? Get to wear really comfy shoes and exceptionally rarely do you ever have to queue to use the loo! The lads have to queue way more than we ever do ;)

Monday, September 20, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?