Picture of What’s your best advice for women in the army?

What’s your best advice for women in the army?

3 responses

Anonymous asked a question to British Army

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Monday, May 18, 2020

Last reviewed: Monday, May 18, 2020

Madeline J.

Wildcat Pilot

Good morning, thank you for your question. Could you be a little more specific? Do you mean advice for starting training or choosing a job within the Army? Or do you mean something more specific? Many thanks, Maddie

Monday, May 18, 2020

Anonymous

For choosing roles and then do you feel like you can progress just as far as a woman as a man could in terms of job opportunities and ranks?

Monday, May 18, 2020

Madeline J.

Wildcat Pilot

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. In terms of choosing roles the world really is your oyster. Every role in the British Army is open to both men and women so it's really down to you doing your own research to see what you are most interested in. The British Army website has all the key information on and it's worth asking me and the fellow insiders about their specific jobs to see what interests you. There is scope to move between jobs throughout your career. In terms of career progression - there are exactly the same opportunities available to women as there are for men. Rank promotion is based on a combination of time served, individuals' reports and opportunities available at the time; therefore so long as you are performing well and have met the criteria there is no reason not to promote. Clearly if you choose to have a family then this might impact work in some areas. For example: pregnant women are not allowed to fly so if I were to have children I would have several months out of flying. This won't impact my ability to promote but it would mean that I would need to do an extra course to get back into flying to make sure I was current. This would definitely not be the case for the majority of jobs though. I hope that helps answer your questions a bit. Please let me know if I can help further. Maddie

Monday, May 18, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?