Picture of What's it like to be a woman in the Army?

What's it like to be a woman in the Army?

2 responses

Serena T. asked a question to Georgina Z.

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Last reviewed: Monday, May 4, 2020

Georgina Z.

Marketing Manager

Hi Serena, I don't really think about being a women in the Army that often. It is an interesting question as people define themselves in many different ways. If I were asked to describe myself in three words, female or woman probably wouldn't be one of my choices. I suppose I just see myself as being in the Army and sometimes it is important what gender I am but mostly it is not. But that does not answer your question....so.... What I really like is the fact I can be as feminine or as 'tom boy-like' as I want to be. I like not having to think what to wear each day and looking smart in my uniform but equally I like taking it off at the end of the day and wearing my nice clothes. I especially like it when we have military parties and balls and I get to wear something really pretty and special - it is the best of both worlds for me. I am the sort of women that has an equal amount of male and female friends and I enjoy the different types of relationships that this brings. My female military friends are really supportive on an emotional, practical and empathic level and we have amazing networks where we help each other out at work and in our home lives. My male mates are great for giving me a totally different perspective and we have such great banter that work is always so enjoyable. I enjoy working in this type of environment. There have been times when as a woman I feel I may have found the Army much harder than my male counterparts but I am even more proud of myself for over coming these challenges because of that. What is important though is that it does not matter whether you are male, female, gay, straight, black, white or from any other diverse group, you will instantly feel part of a team in the Army and we embrace our diversity. I feel as a woman I bring a different perspective to situations compared to that of many of my male colleagues and by being able to offer this alternative view based on my own experience as a woman I can provide really good solutions to some of the wicked problems that the Army faces today. Please get back to me if you want to know anything else or just want to chat more about this area.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Anonymous

This is a really great explanation to the question. I was wondering how you would deal with the menstrual cycle on deployment or while training, did you find it made / makes the work harder.

Monday, May 4, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?