Picture of What's Pilot Selection in the Army like?

What's Pilot Selection in the Army like?

1 response

Additional information

What are the Army really looking for in potential Pilots, and what was it like for those who had gone through?

Ross S. asked a question to Combat

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Last reviewed: Thursday, December 17, 2020

Madeline J.

Wildcat Pilot

Hi Ross, Thanks for your question and apologies for the delay in answering. Potential pilots are generally assessed on two traits- their general character and their ability to pass the selection tests. Whether you aim to be a soldier or officer pilot you will need to pass the selection tests which consist of 1) the aptitude tests 2) the aviation medical and 3) army flying grading. The AAC will not take on anyone who fails any of these tests so I would argue that these are the most important element in the application process. However, the AAC also want to know that you are a good character and have a good work ethic. They do this by interviewing you once you are successful with the application tests. They will also look at your other reports if you are already serving as a soldier or officer elsewhere in the Army. This will help them build up a picture of your character to determine whether you are a good fit for flying training. (Generally you won't have got to this stage without being recommended for training so it's usually just a confirmatory check.) I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any other questions. Take care, Maddie

Thursday, December 17, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?