Picture of Is a level 3 extended diploma in uniformed services enough to be considered for pilot training? (It is worth 3 A levels)

Is a level 3 extended diploma in uniformed services enough to be considered for pilot training? (It is worth 3 A levels)

1 response

Additional information

My application for naval aircrewman has been massively delayed and I am therefore doing a 2 year college course on entry to uniformed services. This will give me access to officer training and I will likely start applications with all 3 services. Will this - as well as some leadership experience - be enough for me to stand a chance of being selected for the army pilot role.

Anonymous asked a question to British Army

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Last reviewed: Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Madeline J.

Wildcat Pilot

Hi there, Thanks for your question. You do not need to have A levels to be a pilot in the AAC. You do however need to pass the selection process. You can do selections as either an officer or soldier. Officer's need to have completed Sandhurst and been successful at AAC selection whilst in their second term at the Academy. To be considered as an an NCO pilot the minimum you require is to be a LCpl with recommendation for Cpl on your SJAR and to have passed the Army Pilots' Course selection process. On average this takes 3-4 years following successful completion of Phase 2 training. The Pilots' course selection consists of three phases: Phase 1 is Aptitude Testing, held at RAF Cranwell. This consists of 6-7hrs of computed based work to test your ability to multi-task and problem solve. There is an element of mental maths to this so I'd advise you practice your speed, distance, time maths beforehand. Phase 2 is the Aircrew Medical held at RAF Cranwell. This is a more in depth medical than your Army selection one with an emphasis on measuring your limbs etc to ensure you will fit in the cockpit. Phase 3 is Flying Grading held at Middle Wallop. This is usually 4-5 weeks of learning to fly on a small fixed wing aircraft. You will be taught the basics and assessed on your ability to learn in a fairly short space of time. I hope that helps any your question. Take care, Maddie

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?