Picture of Hello, I'm thinking about joining the reserves but I'm having a wee bit of a problem understanding how it works.

Hello, I'm thinking about joining the reserves but I'm having a wee bit of a problem understanding how it works.

Picture of Jen
1 response

Additional information

I'm thinking about joining when I'm 21 and when I've got a civilian career

Zain A. asked a question to British Army

Date asked: Monday, June 28, 2021

Last reviewed: Thursday, September 23, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, the Reserves is best of both worlds - you can learn and gain skills from the army whilst also not having to move around. Usually you'd join your local Army Reserves unit (they are always happy for people to contact them and arrange a visit or join in a training eve), the commitment to the Army REserves is as much or little as you can give. Usually Reserves will have a training eve 1 eve a week, maybe 1 or 2 weekends a month and then a 2 week training / summer camp in about Sept time. Most companies have signed up to the Military Covenant and give 10days extra leave to members of the Army REserves so the 2 weeks camp wouldn't come off your annual leave. I hope this helps for now. Best thing to do is talk to your local Reserves unit and find out what the commitment is and whether you have time in a job. GOod luck.

Thursday, September 23, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?