Picture of How hard is it to keep up with access to children who don't permanently live with you?

How hard is it to keep up with access to children who don't permanently live with you?

Picture of LCoH Ashley
Picture of Jen
2 responses

Additional information

I am married with one child who lives with me but have a 6 year old and 2 year old who I see at weekends and I want to know if its plausible for me to join and keep up with contact or not. Thanks in advance

Jake R. asked a question to Combat

Date asked: Saturday, July 10, 2021

Last reviewed: Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Picture of LCoH Ashley O.

LCoH Ashley O.

Recruiting Co-Ordinator at ACC Norwich

Hi Jake, Thanks for your question. I am in a similar situation to yourself. My son doesn't live with me at the moment but the army is very flexible with trying to help its employees to have access to and to see all members of their family. The army isn't a 24 hour job, and most of the time, when you aren't on training exercises or deployments, you will have weekends off, where you're free to do what you please including going to visit family. I still manage to see my son regularly and maintain a healthy relationship with him. So i'm sure you would not have any issues in doing so either. The army also provides families accommodation too which would be a perfect place to have your children to stay when you are able to see them. Hope this answers your question.

Monday, November 15, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, just as Ash said above, the army isn't 24/7 and you could apply for a service families house (SFA) and your children that don't live with you all the time can stay with you at your house for holidays, wknds etc. There are lots of either single parents in the army or people who don't have their kids all the time but are still able to see them and have a good relationship with them.

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?